Re: [strawbale] Proposal for introduction

Hello all -

It's great to be connected to this group (although I live and work in Kingston, New Mexico, USA), since currently I'm the editor of The Last Straw, the International Journal of Straw Bale and Natural Building (www.strawhomes.com)    As you may already know, we are always interested in sharing European news with the world-wide SB community.

Briefly, I've been exploring the expanding world of natural building since we built our straw-bale greenhouse in 1992.
Since then I've produced four videos on the subject (The Building With Straw series and The Straw Bale Solution) and we have hosted several SB Conferences and four Natural Building Colloquiums at our facility, an old stone Lodge, which we run as a Bed & Breakfast.  I have also helped organize the Build Here Now -  a natural building and permaculture convergence for the past 3 years.  (Events like these have helped to create a feeling of community within the independent spirits who are experimenting with ecological building, as there seems to be a shared system of deeply held values within this vibrant group.)

The videos and TLS have been good excuses to travel and meet people around the US & Europe  -- I met a number of folks on this list last spring, when my mother Betty and I visited 11 countries in five weeks, accompanied by Andre & Coralie and aided immeasurably by Martin Oehlmann.  What a wonderful trip we had!   We continue to tell tales of the warm welcomes we received and the generosity we experienced.  (This seems to be normal in SB circles......)  We also had the pleasure of meeting Heidi Snel (and Malcolm) and seeing their excellent work --  I'm very glad that they are documenting the European SB projects.

New Society Publishers will be releasing a book in September that I am co-editing (along with Joe Kennedy and Michael Smith) called "The Art of Natural Building."   There is a "chapter" in it about European traditions of natural building and a number of photographs that I took during our trip.  The subject is a huge one, so by necessity the article is an overview -- but I have mentioned this list-serve in it and the ESBN, so my hope is that the book will be a useful beginning place for new natural builders who want to connect with the "movement" in Europe.

I am also working with a group called Builders Without Borders (see www.builderswithoutborders.org) that is developing a Manual of ecological home Designs and a process-oriented Handbook for facilitating hands-on projects in communities of housing need.  BWB is planning a Project Facilitator Training Oct 1 - 10, 2001 here in Kingston, which will use our Handbook as a text.  (Interested in knowing more?  I will post a general announcement with more details, soon.)  I am collecting video footage for BWB, too, and hope to have time in the coming year(s) to create several videos to aid in its work.

I can hardly wait till I have another excuse to visit Europe again.  Meanwhile, if anyone is traveling in New Mexico, we live in a lovely spot surrounded by National Forest and have a variety of natural building experiments folks are welcome to tour.

Best regards,