RE: [strawbale] tie-downs

In the past, on boats and ships, ropes (standing rigging) were used to
support masts etc; they were then called "shrouds" or "stays". The ropes
were "wormed" and "parcelled" near deck and passed around "deadeyes" or
"bullseyes" so that they could periodically be adjusted,
tightened....Stockholm tar and tallow were among the natural products used
to help prolong the life of these ropes. You would find that older nautical
books (about knots, ropes and cables) would give you a good account of the
techniques.

Hope this helps - if nothing else the terminology used then was wonderful.

Tim

Information may be contained in this message which is legally privileged
and/or confidential. If you are not the addressee(s) legally indicated in
this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person),
you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.  In such case, you
should destroy this message, and notify us immediately. Opinions,
conclusions and other information expressed in this message are not given or
endorsed by my employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorised
representative independent of this message.  Please note that neither my
employer nor I accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your
responsibility to scan attachments (if any). If you have received this
transmission in error it would be helpful if you could notify us as soon as
possible.