[strawbale] cross bracing and Europan Testing

Hello everyone,

Since I'm no engineer I've always wondered when we do or don't need to add extra cross acing. Loadbearing SB walls have cross bracing capacities because if they did not there would not be Nebraska SB homes, but how much of the cross bracing of the straw can be utilized in a post and beam structure? Sure, we can always add extra cross bracing, but as always I'm hesitant to do so before I feel sure it is needed.

I'm contemplating launching an effort to get SB accepted by the French building codes. Known here as the CSTB.
For that I would like to start with a 100 mē (roughly 1000 sqft) model SB home, trusses + light post and beam (with a screw down method as used by the Steens).
But before we start shopping for subventions to finance a program to pass the CSTB I would like to be sure about this cross bracing thing. Then again, we could start of with some numbers from the tests or your gestimates and then have tests done here in France.

I will be going to Brussels in April to help Harald on his project for the GEN. And I will try to use the opportunity to see if anything can be done for the acceptance of SB building on a European level, rather than country per country.

Suggestions and advice or other help are always welcome!

Greetings from a cool but lovely sunny day in France,
Andre

I'm sorry to announce that Coralie and I will not be at the European gathering. Too much to do, and too little time and funds. We wish you a fruitful meeting and hope to read a report on your progress on this list.

La Maison en Paille
Habitat Eco-Logique

Andre & Coralie de Bouter
Le Trezidoux