[Strawbale] earth emission

Max Vittrup Jensen Max at PermaLot.org
Thu Jun 21 12:52:12 CEST 2012

? Just as Sara I'm from Denmark, and having attended 3 International
'Lehm' conferences and been to the European museum of earth building
near Ganzlin, it's my clear impression that quite a fair amount of old
German buildings have earth bricks in them, especially the 'fach-werk
hausen' (pardon my grammar; I believe it's 'Tudor style' houses in
English?

Perhaps this study would have your interest, Tilman?

>From Mia Hesselkjær on 'Talking Natural Homes FB group':
I found a paper from 05 in english, treating more or less the same
problem. High radon and thoron levels on what they called 'raw clay'
which as I can read from the limited information, are probably old
wattle and daub houses, but which sho...ws values similar to brick and
masonry blocks for adobe and huge differences on the range of values
on bricks...
Why the difference between the 'dried' and the other dry clay? Could
it be a matter of geology between the regions with preserved old
houses and the regions where buildings in adobe are possible?

http://books.google.dk/books?id=i04pN-SGU3wC&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=thoron+clay+building&source=bl&ots=Nin9Gqbt1k&sig=rL9hVeq3uBrJFHhRlsJ_bFpqh9c&hl=da&sa=X&ei=5y6QT5XwBdGe-QaOg_ykBA&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=thoron%20clay%20building&f=false

Cheers,
Max