[Strawbale] quick and efficient ?

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Wed Jul 18 20:54:30 CEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 14:50 +0300, Martin Mikush wrote:
> Hello
> I have cheap axess to strawbales. Unfortunately have no land available
> for proper strawbale building.
>
> I am looking into any ideas for a fast track building process of a
> straw bale small house or efficient starage for using them and keeping
> them dry for next year.

If you just want to keep them for next year then keep it simple. Put
some old pallets on the ground to keep the moisture away from the bales
(or else be prepared for the bottom row to be unusable). Make a stack
with the bales and build up the top layers to form a ridge shape. Then
put a tarp over the top. If you don't cover the top, I expect all the
bales will be useless. If you have enough tarps, cover the sides as
well, or mud plaster etc. A small version of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Giant_Straw_Stack_near_RAF_Wyton_-_geograph.org.uk_-_614212.jpg