[Strawbale] A request that came to DCAT from Switzerland

Derek Roff derek at unm...
Mon Jun 13 14:08:53 CEST 2011

There is documentation on some of the oldest Nebraska strawbale
structures in various books, including Bill and Athena Steen's "The
Straw Bale House", Bruce King's "Design of Straw Bale Buildings", and
Catherine Wanek's "The New Strawbale Home" and "The Art of Natural
Building".  There are some pictures of these 100+ year-old buildings
on one of the pages of The Last Straw website:

<http://thelaststraw.org/sban/tour/tour.html>

Architect Werner Schmidt is only a few mountain ranges away in
southern Switzerland, and might be a valuable resource.  He's done
laboratory testing on jumbo bales, and has designed and built many
innovative SB structures.  He's a fun and exciting person to spend
time with, as well.

<http://www.atelierwernerschmidt.ch/Atelier.html>

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/401-4608
Internet: derek at unm...

--On Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:21 AM -0700 David Eisenberg