[Strawbale] Slaked lime

permacultura at libero... permacultura at libero...
Thu Apr 7 18:08:36 CEST 2011

I agree with Dave and should add:  lime putty means pure slaked lime with an excess of water and seasoned under water  (in Italy at least three months).
I usually use putty and sand if I plaster directly on straw I do not use hydraulic lime or hydrated lime which have characteristics very different from  straw.Hydraulic lime is more rigid and less permeable to water and it gets hard in a short time. Usually who does not know lime and is a little bit in hurry uses hydraulic lime sprayed on a plaster mash  (as we saw at Belgium sb tour) and there is a lot of confusion about terms and materials. Romans used hydraulic lime to make bridges, swimming pools, saunas and aqueducts. But they used putty and sand to plaster and render.I will give a talk on lime at the next ESBG in Czech Republicbest wishes

Stefano Soldati

----Messaggio originale----
Da: dave at howorth....uk
Data: 06/04/2011 23.41
A: "European strawbale building discussions"<strawbale at amper....muni.cz>
Ogg: Re: [Strawbale] Slaked lime

Hi Jure,
I think terminology varies a bit depending on where you are. In the UK, lime putty means pure slaked lime with an excess of water for example;
there's definitely no sand in it. Here's a link that explains various terms:
Be aware of the big difference between 'hydrated lime' and 'hydraulic lime' in particular. They sound similar, but they're quite different.
There are also links on that page to more information.
Cheers, Dave

>Send all messages to:
>Strawbale at amper....muni.cz
>Archives, subscription options, etc:

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://amper.ped.muni.cz/pipermail/strawbale/attachments/20110407/9eac5783/attachment-0003.html>

More information about the Strawbale mailing list