[Strawbale] North American resources (was Re: Loadbearing vaults + some ESBG11 information

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo...
Fri Sep 10 19:03:53 CEST 2010

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 04:43:01 -0400, Sport Hotel, Jure Pozar
<jure.pozar at gmail...> wrote:

> I searched the amazon and I figured the book that has the most about
> post & beam
> would be:
>

>   More Straw Bale Building: A Complete Guide to Designing and Building
>   with Straw (Mother Earth News Wiser Living) (Paperback)
>
> by Chris Magwood (Author), Peter Mack (Author)
>
> but I cannot order it from Amazon as they don`t deliver to Slovenia.
> ... would somebody buy it for me and send it over.

Jure and (J)Euros;

I've not taken a look at the Magwood/Mack book so I can't comment on its
utility for the desired purpose but I would be happy to purchase it and
send it over to you.

Just contact me off-list with the particulars.

The same offer is open to all others who are in the same predicament as
Jure.

Something that you (the collective "you") may want to consider is getting
together a list of all the hard-to-get materials from North America on
your wish list and I could put them all together into one shipment and you
can re-distribute over there, perhaps at your next European conference or
such-like.

Also, I'm wondering if you (the collective "you" again) are familiar with
the websites of some of the SBC pioneers like Athena & Bill Steen
www.caneloproject.com , John Swearingen  http://www.skillful-means.com ,
Kelly Lerner  www.one-world-design.com , Bruce King
http://www.ecobuildnetwork.org/ to name a few, all of whom have authored
books and/or articles on the subject ?

The above come to mind because they all have extensive
knowledge/experience of/with the subjects that have appeared on
this List in recent days  (SB vaults, post & beam/SB infill, building
science/moisture movement etc.)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if many of the details in the Magwood/Mack
book are gleaned from the experience of the afore-mentioned.

But specifically on the subject of wood-framed SB infill structures ...

Something to consider is the used of spaced framing members (aka "parallel
cord trusses", "box beams" ) rather than larger dimension solid framing
members.

Basically, spaced framing members place small dimension lumber (typically
no larger than 38 x 89 mm) at the extremities of a cross section held
apart by relatively thin (10 - 12 mm) and small plywood or OSB gussets
placed at short intervals (typically 800 -1200 mm) along the length of the
member creating a parallel chord truss with far greater stiffness than any
solid framing member would achieve, yet using only a fraction of the
lumber.

An additional benefit is that the spaced framing member creates a framing
cavity that will accommodate extremely high levels of fibrous (ie
non-foamed plastic) insulation without creating thermal bridges through
the insulation.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom