[Strawbale] Plaster and fire safety -And PU question

Sebastien Hubert sebastien.hubert at mc2000...
Tue Dec 7 07:40:39 CET 2010

Dear Max and everybody,

I'm living in Belgium and would like to add a comment regarding your
remark.  I don't think that belgium strawbales houses are build only for
the wealthy folks.  I'm personally building our strawbales house and our
architect is really dealing with the budget.  He is working with
"normal" people who can afford the medium price.  You have perhaps
visited huge houses when you came at the ESBG.  They are not all like
this ;-)

Here is my opinion about the strawbale building and building in
general.  As a professional builder (insulation, strawbales, earth
plaster, ... ). I'm always trying to find the best
solution/product/quality to be able to propose good material (and also
nice ;-) to everybody.  I think everybody should be able to own a
healthy lovely house.

My goal is of course to target the main stream.  I think In Belgium the
main stream is meanly looking for a house that is not really different
of the neighbourhood.  We are not looking for extravangant houses.  It
means that we also have to show that this is possible to build a
strawbale houses that looks like a traditional one.  When I say we are
building with straw the people are generally thinking we are going to
live in a mega organic house.

Our house will be an important reference for my job.  That's why it will
look like a traditional house but with some details that will make the
difference anyway.

For the next project, I'm thinking about a low budget strawbale house
for (for example) a young couple and his child(ren) familly...   I would
like to show it is possible to build an affordable healthy low energy
house.  But as André was writing and saying cheap, quality and quick is
not compatible...  This is thus important to take time to do the things
in the right way.

Have a nice day (cloudy here probably ;-)

Cheers

Seb

Sebastien Hubert
http://www.paille.be