[Strawbale] Plaster and fire safety -And PU question

Architectengroep Barchi info at barchi...
Tue Dec 7 09:33:14 CET 2010

Hi Max,

just a little remark:

in Belgium building with strawbale is more 'mainstream' than other ways to
build.  It is cheaper to build with straw bales (because you can do more
things by yourself).  People with low budget come to us, because building
with straw bales is the only way they can afford to build.

And sure, if you are wealthy, you can build a bigger house, with more
expensive type of heating, ventilation, and all that kind of things.  But it
is not 'something for the rich'.

Kind regards

Lies Thys

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: strawbale-bounces at amper....muni.cz
[mailto:strawbale-bounces at amper....muni.cz] Namens Max Vittrup Jensen
Verzonden: dinsdag 7 december 2010 1:26
Aan: strawbale at amper....muni.cz
Onderwerp: [Strawbale] Plaster and fire safety -And PU question

Dear Andre and Bane

> Plaster and fire safety:www.svepomocnastaveni.cz/?p=81
Bane: Using my typical level of diplomacy (which is not unlike what's now
publicly displayed by Wikileaks!), I suggested he rather promoted his skills
here: www.darwinawards.com (!) [Unfortunately they don't hand out pre-mortal
awards!]

Andre: Yes, lovely with a free world and all that jazz; problem is that such
actions has much further reaching effects than the personal one.
I've witnessed how in Denmark SB building is [Generally!] for the left wing
do-it-yourself'er, which several SB folks believe is due to the effect SB
building was introduced in DK; Through Steen Mollers lovely TV documentary,
making a small cottage in his backyard. I love it, but fact is SB building
can do so much more.  Opposite; in countries such as Austria, Switzerland
and Belgium, it's my impression that SB building [Generally!] is for the
wealthy folks who can afford a fine architect custom build low-energy house.
Also good, but it excludes the main stream.

My concern is that I'd love SB building in CZ to be attractive for the
mainstream. They won't care much for the ecology of the straw, but for the
final low-energy modern house, and preferably at a lower cost than the once
they currently invest in, made from unsustainable materials made by foreign
owned companies. This brings me back to the issue of the unplastered house.
Should it burn, (and worse; kill someone), it will be virtually impossible
to pursuade mainstream to move into a house with SB's in the walls. -It's
bad enough that we have to pay 150% in fire insurance already!!

Lastly PU:
Kurt: What's your information about toxicity of Poly Urethan? (Used as glue
in OSB). As an Ing. in Environmental Management, I'd instantly point at the
lifecycle issue of it; how the heck do you separate the stuff, in order to
dispose/recycle the items separately????  Any solutions for that, Herbert?
;o)

Cheers,
Max

    European strawbale building discussion list

Send all messages to:
Strawbale at amper....muni.cz

Archives, subscription options, etc: