[Strawbale] Olivers' Fun with Maps

Oliver Blake Swann obswann at btinternet...
Thu Mar 5 15:23:41 CET 2009

Hello all,

Regarding "the purpose of the map":

*	The map's purpose is to reach people who would otherwise never
find the world of natural building (including straw bale building). The
map can be found on many websites around the World from builders
<http://www.savikodu.pri.ee/map.html>  to life-style
<http://www.smallhousestyle.com/2009/02/16/small-natural-homes-google-ma
shup/>  websites to Universities
<http://wag.myzen.co.uk/thepolytechnic/?p=159>  and private
<http://mamaziemia.blogspot.com/2008/04/mapa-slomianych-domow.html>
blogs. The map currently gets about 1,500 visitors per day and is fast
approaching at total of 1 million visits. Even if only 0.1% of them
decide to build naturally that's 1,000 more natural homes.

Regarding "about 1/100th of reality":
*	I add buildings to the map as I find them on the web.
*	People write to me to ask for their home to be added, as Max did
recently for his
<http://naturalhomes.org/ecohousemap.htm?strawbaleAallA49...706318,16.9195
19,9>  home.
*	Organisations contact me to add entire collections like dancing
rabbit <http://naturalhomes.org/ecohousemap.htm?allArabbit>  did (here
displayed as a list <http://naturalhomes.org/thelist.htm?allArabbit>
with their banner leading to their website).
<http://naturalhomes.org/ecohousemap.htm?strawbaleAallA49...337651,16.4437
87,9>

Regarding "privacy of the homeowner" (and how to accommodate secret
locations):

*	I've considered adding regions to the map that, once clicked,
would open a page of non-located SB buildings, but it detracts from the
clean, easy to understand nature of the map and doesn't give a feel for
the number of SB buildings registered.
*	I've also considered adding a set of 'not-here' icons (e.g. a
straw bale icon with a red circle) but this will require a major
re-write of the map since the display is controlled by an icon parameter
e.g. http://naturalhomes.org/themap.htm?strawbale to display the home
type straw bale.
*	For the moment I have solved the non-accurate location problem
with the text "NOTE: Location of building is close, but WRONG", which is
only seen if a user opens the icon bubble. I think this is a good enough
solution without cluttering the map with different icons and having to
explain the difference between them. Here is an example of a 'not-here'
entry to the map
http://naturalhomes.org/ecohousemap.htm?strawbaleAallA49...337651,16.44378
7,9

Regarding "This could leave the Czech map quite empty":

*	Needless to say I don't speech Czech so I rely on the valuable
contributions from people like Max.
*	I hope the text, "NOTE: Location of building is close, but
WRONG", will mitigate people's reluctance to add to the map.
*	As far as possible, I only add good examples of houses so that
visitors to the map see them as a mainstream housing option. If a county
is poorly represented then it can be legitimate to include other homes
that at least attempt to use natural materials like this one in the
Czech
<http://naturalhomes.org/ecohousemap.htm?strawbaleAallA49...93266,14.71258
2,11>  Republic. I would prefer to remove this type once there are
sufficient better examples to represent a country.

I hope this clarifies everything. You are all welcome to contribute to
the map. If you have a lot of buildings to add then I have an
application you can use to add them yourself.

Kind regards,

Oliver
house at naturalhomes...