[Strawbale] Coping with horizontal rain.

Brian Waite brian at brianwaite....uk
Sun Feb 22 14:11:29 CET 2009

Dear All,
when I decided to design my strawbale insulated retirement home the vulnerability of breathing walls in this area of horizontal rain (the Lake District of the UK) was my main concern. My solution is on www.strawbalehouse.co.uk  I have totally covered the (lime rendered) bales with tiles. The entry for ventilation air is at gutter level (approx 1M) with the exit at the ridge (7.5M). This has a natural chimney effect that draws air over the bales and is further amplified by solar gain on the tiles.
Brian