[Strawbale] Fwd: - rainscreen (on an UK SBH)

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo...
Fri Feb 20 23:56:53 CET 2009

------- Forwarded message -------
From: Carolatkn at aol...
Subject: GSBN - rainscreen
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 17:24:08 -0500

Dear Rob

I'm sorry - I can receive from the list but I can't reply (it doesn't
recognise my e-mail address - must get it sorted!)

We are building a holiday cottage on our farm in the Uk to learn and to
raise the profile of sb here. We built a sb caravan first and i researched
it  for my thesis (from which Jim just quoted on the list). During my
research I
found that a rainscreen would be a good idea and so we altered the facade
of the permanent cottage to include one (in places). Jim has put moisture
probes
in so  we can monitor the effect over the years.

The way we did it (completely made up - no idea if it is right!) - we built
a frame of 4x2's and stacked the bales behind. We applied a slip coat of
clay to  the visible straw and then a thicker coat of clay, sand and
chopped
hemp. when  dry we applied a couple of coats of lime wash for good measure
then
clad with  8 inch larch boards (overlapped 2 inches). We put some vent
holes in
the bottom and in the top. The air gap behind the boards will be approx 3
inches. I appreciate that cracks will open up near the timber but am
hoping that this will not significantly affect performance of the wall

Please feel free to share this with the list if you think worthy
best wishes
Carol
_www.homegrownhome.co.uk_ (http://www.homegrownhome.co.uk)

========= End of Forwarded Material ============

(Thanks Carol. [while wetting index finger [slurp] and making an air-tally
mark , showing the scallywag wrong re:his assertion about SBer's being
clueless about rainscreens]

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom