[Strawbale] roofplate

Stewart at TSHargrave....uk Stewart at TSHargrave....uk
Tue Sep 26 20:29:06 CEST 2006

On 26 Sep 2006 at 18:15, Kitta Potgieter wrote:

>> ...the Bristol Greenhouse build?
>> http://www.bristolgreenhouse.co.uk/index.html

> I looked at your website.

Not my website; just a project I've helped out on.

> Interesting.  How are you going to protect to the
> top of the lime render on the side elevations in order to prevent water
> creeping in? Are you going to lime over the roofplate so that the top of the
> lime is just below the roof, or are you going to fix another fascia over the
> roofplate to cover the top of the lime?

I can't give a definitive answer to this, since I've not spoken to the owner about it, and
have not seen first hand the roof details.

But I do know he is planning to use a clay mix for the render, because the ground
around the build is full of it. The roof is to be a turf roof (hence the engineered joists),
and should have a substantial overhang all round. I suspect he will render to the top
of the straw, up to the roofplate, but I would think rendering over the timber would be
less successful. With a big enough roof overhang, it should not be possible for water
ingress to occur at that point.

--
Stewart H.