[Strawbale] Re: Glass bottle insulation

rikki nitzkin rnitzkin at hotmail...
Mon Nov 28 12:56:10 CET 2005

Thanks for all the advice, Maybe it would help to explain in more detail my
plan:

My original idea was this: a compacted sub-floor of gravel earth, a vapor
barrier (tyvek?), insultation (orginal idea strawclay as seen in the Steen´s
boo, or new idea glass bottles laid flat and filled in with gravel or sand,
topped off with two layers of poured adobe--aprox. 1cm thick).

So my personal, non-technical, intuition tells me that glass bottles (thats
double glass) would insultate well.  They are also easy to find and free in
spain, but if it can cause a thermal bridge I should avoid it--that´s is why
I ask.  It seems that the opinions do not agree. . . .As for shells, I live
in the mountains, inland and have no shells nearby.

So deciding between glass or strawclay?  What would be better?  It would be
better to embed the bottles with the neck down instead of laid flat?

all advice is apreciated,  Rikki