[Strawbale] Re: Glass bottle insulation and ISBBC 2004

namadgi namadgi at club-internet...
Thu Nov 24 14:45:34 CET 2005

hi rikki

i recently used old-fashioned (thick-glassed) wine bottles under the floor
slab in the house i'm building in the loir valley. i have no knowledge of
technical information about its insulation properties, but it seemed like a
good idea to me, air imprisonned in the bottle serving as insulation.

i know of a builder in the south-west of france who has used them and say's
that a layer of bottles (lying on their side) neutralises heat loss through
the ground (which amounts to about 10% of total heat loss from a building,
the majority going through the roof).  i also discovered that in the past
wine-growers in the region put down their "déclassé" wine bottles as floor
insulation covered with a lime floor in their wine cellar-caves. having
several thousand such bottles (all empty, alas!) in a old wine cellar-cave
on our land i decided to put them under the floor.....  (bear in mind you
need roughly 50/60 bottles to fill 1square metre!)

i sandwiched the bottles between a thick bed of gravel (indispensable in
this part of the world) and a lime concrete floor slab. pouring the concrete
over the bottles (use wooden planks) called for some fairly ... balletic
movements.

you talk about using them under an adobe floor. considering that an adobe
floor must be "rammed", ie flattened as much as possible (unless you have a
different technique) then i think bottles perhaps ought to be avoided. i
good bed of gravel to provide drainage covered with a geotextile (to stop
the earth filtering down) and 10/12 cm of earth slab - on two passages -
ought to do the job.

good luck,

stephen