[Strawbale]Re: Strawbale digest, Vol 1 #474 - 7 msgs

asbn asbn at baubiologie...
Tue Mar 8 17:11:38 CET 2005

Dear Mark

If you want to know the difference between e.g. cellulose, sheep-wool, flax,
fiberglass and strawbale, our tests give a relevant result (all are 0,045),
even when the thickness of the measured probe is smaller than that of a
strawbale. All of these insulation-materials act different in reality or
when wet. But for all organic insulation-materials there is a 20% addition
in value by way of calculation for that reason (not so for fibreglass). And
all are measured under the same conditions.

When you have to prove the insulation quality to officials to get better
financial supplies when you build, these tests are relevant, because this
paper is the only thing that matters and all common building-engineers use
these tests for energy-analysis.

We all - networkers, builders, architects, officials - know, that reality is
a different thing, even one (passive)house doesn´t act as the other one. But
as long as we have to compete with cheap prefabricated-houses or expanded
polystyrol-passive-houses, truth is on our side, when we rely on our tests.

Strawbale-(passive)houses in Austria are usually build with this
construction / wall-system:
1,5 ­ 2 cm limeplaster on facade
3 - 5 cm magnesiabound Heraklith-plates (woodchips)
Wind-protection-folie
2,4 cm diagonal wood-boards
35 cm strawbale with 6 x 35 cm construction-timber (sometimes in a
dual-sandwich-system, isolated with 5 cm cork)
2,4 cm wood or OSB-boards*
3 - 5 cm magnesiabound Heraklith-plates (woodchips)
2 - 5 cm clayplaster (thickness depends on wall heating-system)

*If OSB-boards are glued, wind-protection-folie is not necessary.

Blower-door-test is obligatory if you want a financial (eco-)supply by the
government in Austria.

This wall-system has many advantages (e.g. easy to use installation-level in
Heraklith-boards). And I´m sure, this is a passivehouse-system, U-value
around 0,12 - 0,14 W/m2K. For sure it is a safe (and therefore accepted)
system (post-and-beam-construction) for countries with much and cheap
wood/timber (not so for Denmark).

Best wishes from Austria
Herbert Gruber, ASBN

08.01.2005 15:35 Uhr