[Strawbale]realistic SB lambda values

Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer at hetnet...
Tue Mar 8 17:45:30 CET 2005

Herbert,

I appreciate that you support the high (low) numbers achieved in the
tests you mention. I also agree that the MacCabe tests are not
indicative of normally attainable Lambda values. But I have serious
reason to doubt that actual SB buildings will achieve the 0.045 you and
the tests mention. Nearly all other tests (not only the Mac Cabe test
which again I think is an anomaly Check Bruce Kings website for an
overview of the tests) show much lower values. I cannot accept that the
relatively coarse, open, patchy SB can almost approach the same Lambda
value as specifically fabricated insulation materials exhibiting much
better capability to entrap air in small pockets.

I am sure the tests have not been tricked or rigged to achieve the high
values. I just think values measured are due to the very specific
circumstances under which these tests are executed. ie the test does
not properly reproduce circumstances that arise under real building
applications. I am not saying the tests have been faked, just they
don't allow for the specific characteristics of natural building
materials exhibiting greater variance and in-homogeneity. We are
interested in how the system works as a whole and not what the specific
performance is of one single component. Most conventional materials
perform quite poorly in this respect then a SB wall system. Which is
much more homogenous as a whole then nearly all other insulating wall
systems. I would love to execute a few field tests using a heat
conductance meter to verify values (to maybe even find that the 0.045
is almost true)

In the meantime though I would not count on 0.045 as this could lead to
a serious disappointment regarding the performance of the passive
house.

A major issue leading to a lower performance of SB as an insulator is
the existence of air circulation in the bales this is bigger then in
most conventional insulation materials. Higher density bales like
jumbos seem to exhibit a better performance in this respect then normal
density(115kg/m^3) bales.

On Mar 8, 2005, at 16:49, strawbale-request at amper....muni.cz wrote:

> What is quite realistic? I wonder that you cannot accept, that the
> OFFICIAL
> heat measurement-tests in Austria and Germany faced much better
> results than
> the improvised tests of MCCabe in USA.
>
> Be sure, there were no tricks: lambda10tr = 0,038, lambdaZ = 0,045
> (lambda10tr is the value measured on the dry (tr) material at 10
> degrees
> middle-temp., lambdaZ is the measured value + 20% addition)

Rene