[Strawbale]Re: Strawbale digest, Vol 1 #474 - 7 msgs

Mark Bigland-Pritchard // Low Energy Design hyphen at dial....com
Sat Jan 8 16:40:58 CET 2005

Tom -

That part of the Danish document is actually in English - luckily for
you and me...  (though I've got quite good at translating technical
Danish over the last few months - not that I could pronounce it
reliably, nor translate it the other way...)

So far as I can see, the use of bales on edge is pretty common in
post-and-beam construction in northern Europe.  Structurally, this is
obviously OK, but I have doubts on the matter of fire resistance - the
strings are not hidden inside the bale and so may be more readily melted
by fire, allowing bale disintegration at an earlier stage.  If anyone
can raise the funds, I think the relevant fire tests should be
commissioned from an appropriate body -  I think I am right in saying
that the fire tests carried out so far in Europe (German DIN EN 1363,
Austrian OeNORM B3800, Danish DS1051) were all conducted using bales
laid flat, so don't provide the info necessary for a bales-on-edge
assembly.  (No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong - please!)

Mark