[Strawbale]Re: Strawbale digest, Vol 1 #474 - 7 msgs

Mark Bigland-Pritchard // Low Energy Design hyphen at dial....com
Sat Jan 8 15:35:18 CET 2005

Dear all,

The low lambda results in Germany, Austria and Denmark are indeed based
on official test procedures, and appear to be reliable.  However, in
these procedures, (i) the thickness of bale used is smaller than that
for a wall assembly, and (ii) only very dry material is used.  Hence, if
(a) there is any heat transfer effect which isn't proportional in its
extent to the thickness of material, or (b) if moisture movement makes
any difference, these tests will not be directly applicable for U-value
calculation without some sort of adjustment factor.  There is reason to
believe that convective effects, including moisture transfer, do make
some difference in a real-life wall assembly.
This indeed appears to be the case when we look at the whole-wall
U-value tests carried out by ORNL and by the Danish testing programme -
both to variants of official test procedures in the countries
concerned.  These give significantly higher U-values than can be
explained by the lambda values.  There is some useful discussion of this
in the Danish summary document:
Munch-Andersen, J & Møller Anderson, B (2004),   Halmhuse: Udformning og
materialeegenskaber,  By og Byg resultater 033, Statens
Byggeforskningsinstitut, Hørsholm, Denmark
which is available online in .pdf format at the By og Byg website.
Realistically, I would not assume a U-value of less than 0.2 W/m2/K for
a 2-string-bale wall laid flat.  The results seem to me to suggest that
you'd get much the same for the same bales laid on edge.  (Though I
personally have big doubts about on-edge bales for other reasons...)

Mark