[Strawbale] Strawbale roof insulation

Harald und Margit Wedig avantgarden at wxs...
Wed Aug 28 21:49:20 CEST 2002

Coralie & Andre de Bouter wrote:

> I did a little insulation like that. But would not do it again.
> Fire and rodents are a risk. Borax would work for both, but impregnating the
> straw would mean moisture. (We just added it loose on the straw)
> Besides, how much of insulation would 17 cm of 'loose' straw really give.
> Not much I think.
>
> Why not go for sheeps wool. Unwashed, so the oils protrect against mites.
> Cheap, ecological, withstands moisture and fire.
> 15 cm gives insulation equal to a SB.
>
> They say that the smell goes away after some time. We will installed the
> wool that we collected this year during the winter.

Hallo Herwig, hello Andre,
we just did make a roof insulation with unwashed ( oily, not dirty),
boraxed sheepwool. It does not smell at all.
We used wool from a sheep race, that lives from heather. These sheep
have a rough wool that is normaly not useable for textiles.
You can get this wool for free or for very little money.
17 cm will make a fantastic insulation.
Harald