[Strawbale] Strawbale roof insulation

Coralie & Andre de Bouter m.ep at laposte...
Wed Aug 28 16:56:05 CEST 2002

I did a little insulation like that. But would not do it again.
Fire and rodents are a risk. Borax would work for both, but impregnating the
straw would mean moisture. (We just added it loose on the straw)
Besides, how much of insulation would 17 cm of 'loose' straw really give.
Not much I think.

Why not go for sheeps wool. Unwashed, so the oils protrect against mites.
Cheap, ecological, withstands moisture and fire.
15 cm gives insulation equal to a SB.

They say that the smell goes away after some time. We will installed the
wool that we collected this year during the winter.

Bye,
Andre