[Ida] LP definition into the letter?

The EuP process in case of streetlighting showed clearly (up to now) that
lack of a definition everybody would remember (or find quickly and
reliably) leads to neglecting LP in any practical issues.

   ``Light pollution is the alteration of natural light levels in the
     outdoor environment due to manmade light sources.''

to quote from http://savethenight.eu/Home.html

Shouldn't that sentence be included in the letter explicitly?
(some more comments on the definition are within
 http://amper.ped.muni.cz/light/EuP/05.txt ).

Of course, any lighting installed or penetrating outdoors IS polluting.
Our goal is to avoid it (i.e., lighting) as much as possible, and reduce
or avoid its most harmful impacts.

The natural state of night environment is natural darkness. This is
nothing bad and should be available universally. Remember that natural
state of rivers is that their water is potable... Czech poets disputed in
mid-19th century, which river has the best tasting water! Sounds
incredible now? But it should be again so in future, and we have to try
hard to reach it. Having rivers clean enough for swimming is a very low
temporary target... For the night environment, seeing the bridge between
zodiac light and counterglow should be the target: not just for sake of
that astronomical phenomenon itself, but as it is a sign that the
night environment is almost natural.

By the way, I've assembled my remarks to the EuP streetlighting drafts
publicly into http://amper.ped.muni.cz/light/EuP/ (numbers correspond to
the sequence of my letters). I hope that publishing my remarks is not in
conflict with the draft's current non-public character.

jenik