           From: George Nickas <nickas@hanover...>
      2. Re: Subject: Re: Pinch a penny
           From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>
      3. Re: bulbs with lampshades?
           From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>
      4. Re: Crime and LP
           From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>
      5. Re: Battling on the Popular Front
           From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>
      6. Re: lighting industry
           From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>
      7. Re: lighting industry
           From: kgfleming@att...
      8. Now
           From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>
      9. Re: Re: bulbs with lampshades?
           From: John Gilkison <jgilkiso@zianet...>
     10. Re: Re: bulbs with lampshades?
           From: "Karolyn Beebe" <keedo@merr...>
     11. Re: Now
           From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>

Message: 1
   Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 08:32:50 -0500
   From: George Nickas <nickas@hanover...>
Subject: Re: lighting industry

Well, some of you have experienced IDA activity more closely than I
have, but some personal observations.
I unloaded illusions about the the IDA some time ago--they accept
lighting company advertising in their newsletters--whatever else they
do, these companies make a lot of money selling light polluting
products.  Plus the executive branch of IDA sits at far more banquet
tables sipping wine and trading jokes with lighting industry types than
seems decent in terms of what has to be an adversarial relationship
between action groups and the 'enemy.'  You don't get respect
schmoozing.  These are generalizations but then again so are Newton's
Laws of Motion which are pretty dependable.  Put another way, if you are
around fish that have 'gone off', you will smell like one.
    The IDA has done some good informational work, but it is what it is
because it has made information its mission.  Information, if I
mayparaphrase a mathematical statement, is a necessary but insufficient
condition to turn things around in the light pollution business--either
 quickly or slowly.  We have to show folks that we mean business and the
problem is serious, and as we know that involves pointing fingers.  But
it's true--  "It's local, stupid"  and the IDA is not interested in
getting soiled in local even as broadly local as an entire state like
New York.  IDA is an ammo plant supplying the bullets that other people
have to shoot.
    So, it bears repeating--short of some massive failure of the
electrical infrastructure, the local solution--picking off targets of
opportunity one at a time is correct.  It's guerilla war.  Ask Nader,
ask Greenpeace, but doing it so you can grab headlines and get
publicity.  You finally realize it's The First Amendment everybody.  One
committed activist in one place saying the right things to the right
people--that's it.  gn

Susan Harder wrote:

>I just received (through my token membership in IES) a mailer card for a
>lecture held in NYC Dec 11th, entitled "Urban Landscape and
>Architectural Feature Lighting", sponsored by B-K Lighting, ERCO
>Lighting, Inc. and Louis Poulsen Lighting, Inc. (no relation to Tim
>Poulsen, SELENE), and held at Parsons School of Design.  "Academic"
>credits for AIA, NCQLP LC and IESNA were offered.  The lecturer was
>Lloyd Reeder, Chair of the IESNA Landscape Lighting Committee.
>
>The card is illustrated with a drawing, depicting two banks of mirrored
>office buildings, on either side, with a single tree (back lit) in the
>middle, and a mowed lawn in the foreground.  The caption reads:  "If you
>light it, they will come."
>
>At IDA Boston, Michael Mesure, Fatal Light Awareness Program (To
>Preserve The Lives of Migratory Birds in Urban Areas), spoke,
>eloquently, about mirrored (and lit) office buildings and the problems
>of reflections, reflected foliage, and subsequent bird disorientation
>and death.  FLAP's mission dovetails with that of dark sky advocates:
>>From their site:  "Many species of birds, especially the small
>insect-eaters, migrate at night. Guided in part by the constellations,
>they are attracted to lights shining from skyscrapers, broadcast towers,
>lighthouses, monuments and other tall structures. The birds either
>flutter about the light until they drop from exhaustion, or actually hit
>the object."
>
>The IDA message is not penetrating the lighting industry; yet they are
>penetrating us.
>
>Anyone else feel skewered?
>
>Susan
>

>OutdoorLighting-Forum  "The largest uncensored and most active non-geographic based forum on light pollution."
>To unsubscribe from a Yahoo list send a blank email to listname-unsubscribe@yahoogroups...

Message: 2