Re: [Strawbale] How to run chminey through strawbale wall?

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:04:38 -0400, dirk witvrouwen <dirk.witvrouwen@hotmail...> wrote:

I'd like to know a safe way to run a woodstove chimney horizontally through a strawbale wall. I'm using a double walled stainless steel chimney (3cm mineral insulation between the two shells).

Dirk;

I'd say "Just don't (run a chimney through the wall).

I would say:

"Relocate the woodstove to a spot that is as close to the geometric centre of the floor plan as is possible and run the chimney straight up through the roof exiting as close to the ridge of the roof as is possible."

Keeping most of the chimney inside of the house minimises heat loss from chimney to the cold outdoors, hence minimises the cooling that the chimney will experience and that will minimise the opportunity for creosote formation (assuming proper burning habits) and the risk of chimney fires.

Also, most of the heat loss through the chimney walls will be beneficial to the conditioned interior living volume.

Also, if exiting through the wall results in the chimney being at the eaves of a sloped roof and if the house is in a climate that receives snow and if the roof cladding is metal, the potential for the chimmey being knocked over by sliding ice and slow is created, not to mention the increased potential for roof leaks around the chimney flashing, assuming that the house is provided with reasonably wide overhangs to keep the SB walls dry.

I could go on but basic point is "Why create potential problems ?" assuming that the building is still either in the design stage or construction stage.

But if the chimney *must* go through the wall, then I would cut a round hole through the straw and then simply install wire mesh and a 50 mm thickness of concrete (aka "Portland cement plaster) over the straw, taking care to properly embed the mesh in the concrete to ensure that the mesh will do its job of providing the tensile reinforcement necessary to prevent cracking due to the thermal stresses to which the plaster chimney hole lining will be subjected.

If necessary, I would install pieces of 11 mm thick OSB or plywood on the inside and outside surfaces of the SB wall with matching holes cut in the OSB to serve as temporary formwork, using an F-clamp or such-like to keep the formwork in place. I would of course first cover the OSB or plywood with salvaged polyethylene sheeting to facilitate easy form removal and to help keep the mixing water in the concrete for as long as possible to ensure full hydration of the cement during the curing process. I would also insert a few strategically-placed anchor sleeves into the wet mud to provide points of attachment in the hardened concrete for the sheet metal cover/air barrier that will eventually go over the penetration.

Then I would install a sheet metal sleeve inside that plastered opening, using non-combustible spacers to create an airspace of 50 mm or more between the plaster and the sheet metal sleeve.

Then I would install more non-combustible spacers between the sheet metal sleeve and the insulated chimney to create the manufacturer's specified clearance.

The sheet metal sleeve mentioned above functions as a radiant barrier and the 50 mm air space behind it will help to minimise heat transfer to the 50mm thick concrete hole lining so that the potential for pyrolisis of the straw adjacent to the concrete lining will be minimised.

Just in case it's not obvious, all of the sheet metal mentioned above should be cut from corrosion-resistant (ie hot-dipped galvanised or galvalume or stainless steel) flat stock of 26 gauge or thicker.

For the sheet metal cover/air barrier on the inside/outside of the penetration, I would cut the hole about 12 mm smaller than the outside diameter of chimney and peen over the 6 mm excess to the inside of the hole. That peened-over edge will help to stiffen the opening in the sheet metal cover and also provide a caulking groove (using a fire-rated caulking of course ie "Dap Fire Stop" silicone.)

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom