Re: [Strawbale] Moisture monitor, logger and alarm

On Fri, 21 May 2010 04:23:42 -0300, equilibre <sven@equilibre...> wrote:

I live in my Reedbale house for 2 years now and I'm also monitoring Relative humidity and temperature inside the rooms, inside the wall and outside. For the room I have right now digital measuring tool - Velleman datalogger.

For me it would be interesting, as to Eddy, to know what is the
functionality and price?

I'm wondering if the European baleheads are familiar with the efforts by senior researcher Don Fugler at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp ( www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca ) back in the mid-late 1990's to develop reliable / effective /inexpensive means for SB homeowners to monitor the moisture scenario inside their bale walls ?

Basically, the outcome of that initiative was a moisture sensor that was cheap like borscht -- consisting of a short length of plastic water supply line (ie PEX) about the size of two segments of your index finger into which is inserted, a small wooden block with two screws connected to a couple of wires from telephone cable.

The above sensor is planted into the bales and the two wires run out to two screws mounted in a small coin-sized scrap of Lexan or PlexiGlas which serves as the reading station.

From the above description, it should be apparent that a homeowner could make a few dozen of the above sensors and reading terminals for less than the cost of a cup of storebought coffee.

The report with instructions for fabricating the sensors should still be available at the CMHC website and instructions for making variations on the original design (provided by Habib Gonzalez and Rob Jolly, two baleheads who made a bunch, planted them into SB houses in British Columbia and Alberta and then collected the monitoring data into two reports which they wrote for CMHC) are stored in the FILES section at the SB-r-Us Yahoogroup.

Since the hygrothermal activity inside of properly designed/built plastered SB walls should be minimal, the monitoring data collected over the course of a month or two would be about as interesting as watching hair growing or paint drying .

Seasonal readings should suffice to alert the homeowner to any potential moisture problems that may need attention.

Those seasonal readings can be obtained with something as simple as a wood moisture meter .

     http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?c=&p=32548&cat=1,43513,45788

It should be apparent that the biggest cost for this "system" is the wood moisture meter. That cost can be minimised simply by sharing the meter amongst a group of SB homeowners, if desired.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom