[Strawbale] Re: Green roofs

Amit,

I built such a small LB SB house about 3 years ago with a living roof. As far as I know it is still in perfect condition. The waterproof membrane is EPDM which is a form of rubber. Since then I have always used EPDM as a roof membrane and I am a keen advocate of green roofs. Normally I suggest the owner use the services of a green roof system supplier. But it is quite feasible to do it yourself but that does involve quite a bit of research.

What Patrick suggests is actually a very good suggestion ( see last mail below) but does take a lot of time. To build up a sufficient stock of sedum or other suitable plants. Maybe the best place is the roof. Start off with some bought plants and see what happens. Keep on removing plain grass and weeds as they die out during dry periods leaving the roof bare susceptible to erosion. You can seriously reduce the weight of a green roof by using a sepcial substrate with a lot of perlite. The last roof I was involved with is in IJburg check out www.strobouw.nl follow links English>SB houses> IJburg weighs only 40kg/m^2

Rene