In SB projects I am involved with I always insist on covering all exposed sides of bales with a least one full contiguous coat of plaster.

Finally basking in the sun in the reclaimed swamp at the mouth of the Rhine
Rene Dalmeijer
On May 3, 2006, at 12:00, strawbale-request@amper....muni.cz wrote:

From: "Eric Larmett" <Eric.Larmett@arup...>
Subject: [Strawbale] External cladding
To: <strawbale@amper....muni.cz>

Most of the information on cladding tends to be on the use of lime
render or plaster rather than cement and this is understood. Does anyone
have experience of using a cladding system, such as tile hanging.

I envisage the use of straw bales as the load bearing wall with a
breathable membrane battens and vertical tiles. This should allow the
wall to breathe, move and shed rain.

Comments would be welcome.