Re: Odp: [strawbale] a technical question about foundations

Title: Re: Odp: [strawbale] a technical question about foundations
Dear Rikki
Hundreds of houses in Austria and former German Democratic Republic are built on earth/clay with rubber-trench-foundations. We too, live in such a house.
The foundation is about 1 meter deep (under the frost-line) as usual foundations are in winter-cold areas. So donīt panic about using a common and traditional technique, which has proved to resist over more than hundred years.
best wishes, Herbert

Thanks for the advice.
Actually, I have read "A strawbale house" and "Earth floors" by the Steens, but i missed the bit about the clay slip.
What really worried me is building on land that is pure clay.  A non-expert said that I could have problems with the whole house moving on a clay site, a i donīt know if the rubble trench foundation will be enought to avoid that.  . .