[strawbale] Dealing with virus problems

Dear strawbale friends

In this message, I summarize for you measures taken by me to deal with  the virus problem. Perhaps, some of this experience may also be useful for those people who handle the strawbale server. For sure, this experience is useful for stand-alone computers.

Every month, several virus infected e-mails come in: not only from the strawbale list, but from everywhere. Especially the last +/- 6 months, the number of infected files at the web seems to be increasing. However, ever since I have an automatic anti-virusprogramme at my PC, I can at least contain the problem. So far, I effectively intercepted all the infected e-mail. If my anti-virussoftware (Norton Anti Virus 2002) cannot kill a virus, he 'quarantines' it: isolating the virus in a special section of the harddisk, until a newly developed anti virus definition is able to kill the problem. The antivirus software I work with, is constantly being updated via the internet. During the quarantine period, a virus cannot do any harm elsewhere at the PC or at the world wide web.

Another measure may be useful if you use 'Outlook' to receive and send e-mail messages. Go to your adress book and create a new 'contact person':
!00000

At this moment, this measure is still effective to prevent a virus from automaticly spreading infected messages to the real contact persons in your adress book. Of course, some virus programme 'author' may find something to unlock this '!00000' -lock. But for all I know, this did not happen yet.

If you have questions, do not hesitate to mail me.

Sincerely yours,

Bas Roufs.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Viaconsensus
Juridisch en politiek advies voor ethisch en duurzaam ondernemerschap
 Legal and political consultancy for ethical and sustainable business
Consulenza giuridica e politica per l'imprenditoria etica e sostenibile
drs. Bas G. Roufs
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
NL-3514 VT  UTRECHT
Nederland, The Netherlands