Re: [strawbale] Number of Strawbale Houses per country?

At 02:27 PM 11/14/01 +0100, Hannes wrote:
Dear Strawbale Builders,

Each Strawbale builder knows, that strawbale building works throughout the whole world and is not restricted to any special climate. To spread this massage among the public we want to show that there are many strawbale
houses in countires with dry climates and also in countries with cold, wet or hot climates.
Therefore we would need the number of strawbale buildings of each country. We know, that the exact number of houses is not easy to determine. But it would be very helpful tu us, if one, who is familiar with the
strawbale activities in his country, could give us an estimation about the number of existing houses built with straw.
Please, send your reply to:
contact@grat....ac.at
Thank you
Best regards
Hannes
PS: We will inform you about the results of this little survey.

And Mark Piepkorn has already replied with an announcement about an online SB Registry getting started in the U.S.
Here is more about that -- from a notice we will be publishing in the next issue of The Last Straw Journal:

International Straw Bale Registry
By Bill Christensen - Austin, Texas

Greenbuilder.com, The Last Straw Journal (TLS) and the Straw Bale Association of Texas (SBAT) are working together to build a database of buildings constructed using straw bales.  The immediate purpose is to answer that most common of questions, "Where can I see an actual straw-bale building?"

Only those structures open to visitors or tours will be published, so go ahead and list your home, garden wall, shed, or doghouse even if you desire privacy.  The aggregate numbers we collect will be useful in such things as lobbying insurance companies, mortgage companies, building officials, and other such stick-in-the-muds, and will be helpful in further popularizing SB to the general public world wide.  The Registry will also act as a contact list for future research and performance testing.

As of press time, we have 79 structures listed from five countries:
Australia 4, Canada 8, England 1, Ireland 1, United States 65.

We hope to enlist the support of other straw-bale associations around the world in broadening this data-base for the good of all.  Please list YOUR straw-bale building today at http://sbregistry.greenbuilder.com, and spread the word to everyone you know who has built with straw bales.

Bill Christensen masterminds Greenbuilder.com, an Internet server hosting a host of eco-building web sites (including TLS’ site www.strawhomes. the Internet server com).  Greenbuilder.com also lists a Green Building Professionals Directory: http://directory.greenbuilder.com/ ; Sustainable Bldg Calendar: http://www.greenbuilder.com/calendar/ ; Sustainable Bldg Bookstore: http://www.greenbuilder.com/bookstore; and Green Homes For Sale/Lease: http://www.greenbuilder.com/realestate/   Contact Bill at: <bill@greenbuilder...>

BOX:
Donations to support this project are welcome. The Last Straw's parent organization, NetWorks Productions, is a 501 (c)3 and can accept tax deductible contributions. Please send donations made out to "NetWorks Productions" to:

International Straw Bale Registry Project
The Last Straw Journal
HC 66, Box 119
Hillsboro, New Mexico, 88042 USA

Best regards,
Catherine Wanek, Editor

The Last Straw Journal
The International Journal of Straw Bale & Natural Building
HC66, Box 119
Hillsboro, NM 88042
(505) 895-5400 /fax (505) 895-3326
<thelaststraw@strawhomes...>