Re: [strawbale] official testing

Dear Andre, dear straw balers,

GrAT (Center for Appropriate Technology at the Vienna University of Technology) in cooperation with asbn has done official testing and has obtained certificates for
fire and heat conductivity. We tested a wooden post and beam construction with strawbale infill.
The strawbale wall passed the F90 test according the ÖNORM testing criteria. The result of the heat conductivity test is Lamba=0,045 W/mK, which allows the building of
low-energy houses and passiv houses.

GrAT is going to continue offical testing and will apply for certificates in sound insulation. Furthermore, with the errection of a demonstration building, the
socalled S-House, next year, long term tests of all relevant parameters will be started and the results of these tests will be disseminated, for example through the
internet.

As offical tests and certificates are very important to convince officals and reduce prejudices we are planning to collect all available tests and certificates and put
them on our homepage (www.grat.tuwien.ac.at) to make them available for all straw bale builders. Although at the moment the website is restructured and will be in the
net by end of this year, this e-mail is an invitation to all straw balers, who have already done offical (and also inofficial) testing, to support our intentions and
send us informations about the tests and/or offical certificates.

best regards
Hannes

--
DI Hannes Hohensinner