RE: [strawbale] Progress and questions

Hi,

	* How do one crosses a chimney and a strawbale wall or a strawbale
	  insulated ceiling or roof. According to the hungarian regulation
	  no flammable material (wood eg.) can be placed closer then 12 cm
	  to the surface of the chimney. Does mineral fiber work?

Yes glasswool has the best insulating performance, 4-5 times better than
rockwool (stones in pizza ovens can transfer a lovely heat and if you blow
glass, you can hold the object with your hand, whilst 15 cm further that
same glass is melting in fire). There are also chimney systems with 2
chambers and cooling effect.

	* What is the fastest and cheapest way to purchase books like
	  Serious Straw Bale, or Beauty of Strow Homes? Shall we try
	  Amazon, or can we find a European bookstore?

You might check Paul from Greenbooks (give him my regards), if you order in
larger quantities and act as a reseller in Hungary, you will receive a
reasonable reduction <greenbooks@gn....org>

	* Martin: If I remember correctly you are experienced with
	  precompressing load bearing walls using baloons. What kind of
	  baloon can fit this purpose?

Well as Catherine mentioned, Fiberhouse Ltd. offers a system, which some
people find useful and others not. Personally I choose the simpel
pre-compression with those "lorry-belts" with 5 ton capacity.

Best wishes, Martin