Re: [strawbale] Progress and questions

Dear Attila
Some answers from my side to your questions

> Hi All,
>
> Strawbuildings are growing like mushrooms in Hungary. Two weeks ago I had
> reported 2 buildings in progress plus 1 in plan and 1 in dream phase.
> Now we have 3 in progress, 3 with nearly finished plans and 1 in dream
> phase. And now we have two proto-companies involved in straw-building.
> In the next 4 weeks we will hold 3 lectures, 2 of them in summer festivals
> with small demo structures...
>
> While I was designing the 2 smallest one and consulting for a larger
> structure I was faced some questions:
>
> * How do one crosses a chimney and a strawbale wall or a strawbale
> insulated ceiling or roof. According to the hungarian regulation
> no flammable material (wood eg.) can be placed closer then 12 cm
> to the surface of the chimney. Does mineral fiber work?

In fact, you even have to have a space of 10 to 12 cm in Austria between the
chimney and flammable materials like wood or organic insulations (like
strawbale). Mineral fibre is an option (but we don´t like it) as well as
expanded perlite (europerl) or expanded mica (glimmer), which even work well
as insulation. If it is not available in Hungary you may contact the company
Wohngesund (http://www.wohngesund.at) under "Produkte/Dämmstoffe).

> * Does anyone know a machine (or idea of a machine) capable of
> applying earth based plasters on the straw wall beside the human
> hand?

Yes there are. You can spray earth plasters with common plaster machines.
The company HASIT has a special tank filled with earth or lime plaster, you
can spray/applicate.
The company is situated in A-4591-Molln, Gradau 15 a, Tel. 0043-7584-39300.
I don´t know if there is a homepage, but try www.hasit.at

> * What is the fastest and cheapest way to purchase books like
> Serious Straw Bale, or Beauty of Strow Homes? Shall we try
> Amazon, or can we find a European bookstore?

The cheapest way is to order it at amazon.com. But Martin will probably tell
you other, more "sustainable" bookstores.

> * Martin: If I remember correctly you are experienced with
> precompressing load bearing walls using baloons. What kind of
> baloon can fit this purpose?
>
> Attila

Best wishes from Austria,
Herbert Gruber, asbn