[Strawbale] compressing or not

Max Vittrup Jensen Max at PermaLot.org
Tue Mar 11 21:32:39 CET 2014

Hi Jure,

I'm sorry I wasn't able to spend much time personally at Kuba's ESBG2011
workshop, however I do believe he did compress (He's quite obsessed with
compression, and rightly so).  All of the (typical inferior local) bales
were first re-bound by hand, they were mounted firmly to the wall, and I
believe the fresh chunks of wood you see mounted below the overhang on the
below photo was used for a car-jack to press against; no, not to raise the
roof (I've actually accidentally done that when I build the adjoining SB
house, using the old barn roof construction for support!)... but to 'jack'
downwards, compressing the bales, after which a permanent solution
(spacers/blocks or straps) are attached and the jack returned to the car...
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yEajBwloinMRPHZbXsa_ctMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Cheers,
Max