[Strawbale] Would you be willing to help me test new email list software?

Derek Stearns Roff derek at unm.edu
Fri Feb 28 18:12:44 CET 2014

Facebook serves a couple of useful purposes.  It reaches lots of people.  Like 24 Hour Talk Radio or The Weather Channel, you can always tune in, and find something going on.  However, deep discussion is discouraged by the structure.  Not only is archiving problematic, it is also hard to find a thread that you noticed an hour ago.  The average posting on the Facebook SB and the Natural Building lists is less than 50 words.  If you check in twice a day, and scroll through three or four screens of content, you will miss a large percentage of the postings.  Most of the content is a photo plus a caption.  And spam, of course.  Lot's of the content is a link to an outside photo, found somewhere on the web.  Many of the comments amount to, "Great photo. Congratulations."

For those of us who don't spend all day on Facebook, one of the important bits of community is shattered.  Even though we are on the same list, such as Facebook Straw Bale Building, almost none of us see all the content, and few of us see the same content.  Each of us sees a different snapshot of a portion of the content.  That has value, but greater depth, continuity of discussion, and more integration within the specific online discussion community, also has value.

The things that I am looking for in an online SB community have existed in the three lists here, SB-r-us, the former CREST/REPP list, now Bioenergy.org<http://Bioenergy.org>, and the Euro SB list.  All of these lists are quiet, now.  I would like to see them be more active, but closing them surely wouldn't cause that.  Everyone can join the Facebook list, whether or not these lists remain.

Combining these three lists might be useful.  Perhaps we just need to be patient, until more people become annoyed with Facebook.  Perhaps we need to publicize these lists, or a combined list, on Facebook, iPernity, LinkedIn, and other social media sites, as a location for deeper discussion.

Derek