[Strawbale] Would you be willing to help me test new email list software?

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 28 00:29:49 CET 2014

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 16:52:55 -0500, John Glassford <jacksflat at gmail.com>
wrote:

> You say NOT Facebook as it does not have any usable archiving.  Why do we
> need archiving for a discussion group?
>
> Does anyone read them.  They are now all out of date and only historical.

Perhaps it might be useful to mention that I used to use the nicknames
"Wolfy" & "el Lupo" for
John and "WoofMan" for Sherwood.  I suppose then that one should be too
surprised to see these two canids, and males at that, howling here.

Me ? Although I do have a Facebook account, I've never used it for
anything other than logging in to post comments in reaction to a news
story on the CBC or Globe & Mail etc websites so I know nothing about FB's
user interface and would probably continue to avoid it if the SB Lists
were to migrate to it, just like I avoid Twitter, Linked-in, Instagram
etc. Life's too short as it is.

However, I am familiar and agree with the aphorism

       "Those who do not acknowledge History are doomed to repeat its
mistakes"

so I do see some value in archiving capability (ie "historical" stuff).

I think that those who are new to SBC (or at least the wise ones) would
take some time to check the archives, if only to familiarise themselves
with the issues, many of which may not even have occurred to them as being
relevant or important at the early stages of their explorations.

El Lupo suggests that in 2014, if one doesn't know something, all one has
to do is ask and the answer will be provided instantaneously.

While I don't disagree with El Lupo's point, there is also the fact that
many important questions simply will not be within the consciousness of
someone who is new to the subject, no matter how brilliant they may be and
that is where archived material will be of utility.

Further, another fact of reality is that not everything that one reads via
the WWWeb (read: "via Google") is accurate so there is no assurance that
the first instantaneous answers that a novice encounters are necessarily
good answers.

Having the ability to scan through archives, following the evolution of
discussions on a particular topic, provides one with the means to evaluate
the quality of the feedback received and hence, make better decisions as
to what constitutes good information.

Familiarity with archived material also helps one to avoid the
"Re-inventing the wheel" syndrome, a disease that afflicts many in the
early stages of their SB addiction.

I could go on and on and on about this but

Bottom line (IMO): Archival capacity = desirable.

Wuff! Wuff! AHROOO-oooo-ooo-OOOO !! y'all.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom            ADT1