[Strawbale] certification of straw bales

asbn asbn at baubiologie.at
Wed Mar 6 15:52:17 CET 2013

Dear Max and all the others on this list

I just want to mention (one more time), that it was not me or the asbn
(our network)
who made the ETA (European Technical Approval) in Austria, it was the
company Waldland (an agricultural organisation)
together with a carpenter (Kreativer Holzbau). And it was made for a
special system, build by this carpenter,
who wanted at this time export the modules even to Germany (as Austria
is a small market).

As the national network we document, whats happening around straw bale
building in Austria,
and it is clear for us (as an independant network) to talk about and
spread such (good) news.

But we also try to tell and speak about the negative aspects (and
always did),
and possible ways out of a dilemma.

In case of ETA: asbn had never the chance to prevent or forbid that
(even if we had known the results).
As soon as the market is there (in a country), each company can make
an ETA for building straw bales.
Knauf could do it, BASF could do it, Steico could do it, whoever
thinks, that there is a market for a building product,
could establish and manufacture approved building strawbales.

And no straw bale network around the world could prevent that.
It can happen to you too, in Czech Republic, or in each other European
country.
This is a free market...

all the best
Herbert