[Strawbale] Air tightness and earth plastering

Sebastien Hubert sebastien.hubert at mc2000...
Sat Jun 11 07:19:05 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I can now give some feedback regarding air tightness of earth plastering.

I put some pictures of our work.

As you can see all the connections details were carefully made.

Today we did a blower door test.  The result we get is quite encouraging
as we reach the value of 0.93 (each hour 0.93 air volume of the house is
renewed under a pressure of 50Pa.  For a passive house the value should
be 0.6 max.  Although we will not be passive we are quite close to it.
A standard house reach a value of between 5 to 12, a low energy house is
around 3.

Regarding the plaster, I can say that the air-tightness is not so good
without the finish layer.  As a matter of fact, we could feel the air
passing through the small cracks although earth plaster is 5cm thick.  I
think thus that it will be really better with the finish layer.   We
will finish the plastering we make a new test to see the evolution.

We only put 2 electrical boxes in the exterior straw bale walls.  Those
are really 2 weak points although I really took care when placing them...

Have a nice weekend.

Cheers

Seb