[Strawbale] Planning a home of BigBales 2011 in Estonia

Max Vittrup Jensen Max at PermaLot...
Sun Feb 27 14:26:49 CET 2011

I have a load (bearing) respect for the practical and academic knowledge of
both Caroline and Minke, however the 'instinctive' builder in me believe
that there's a heck of a difference between using small bales and big bales,
hence that the research figures are not directly applicable?

It's more than simply multiplying % m3 of small bales to the equivalent of
big bales, as the machinery for big bales compress a bale significantly
more, and the strings are able to handle a much higher load. Look for
yourself; when you cut open a small bale it goes 'poof' and expands; not so
(much) with a big bale; it's been compressed 'dead'.

Last week I managed to make an application for funding of a workshop
specifically focused on skill share about 'BBB' (Big Bale Building). We
should know in April if it's funded, in such case it will be from September
1st to 1/09, right after the ESBG 2011, and here at PermaLot, Czech
Republic. Facilitators will be Noe Solsana (F) and Lars Kallesen (DK); 2 of
Europe's most experienced 'Big balers'.  Even in case the workshop is not
funded I'm pretty sure that this building development is going to be a
significant topic for the ESBG, with several 'big balers' present.

Cheers,
Max Vittrup Jensen
PS; have a look at the PermaLot site under download for my M.Sc. comparison
study between a conventional passive house, and one made from Big Bales.
There's a fair amount of environmental data for those of you who's in to
such geek'ism.