[Strawbale] Spelt straw

carolatkn at aol... carolatkn at aol...
Sat Sep 11 22:26:07 CEST 2010

Hi All
We have a straw bale building in progress on an organic farm in Yorkshire. We are using the farmers own spelt straw and I was wondering if this was unique or if there are other spelt straw buildings in Europe?
best wishes
Carol Atkinson
www.homegrownhome.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Howorth <dave at howorth....uk>
To: European strawbale building discussions <strawbale at amper....muni.cz>
Sent: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 17:31
Subject: [Strawbale] Segal method

I'm surprised that people have mentioned a connection between Walter
egal and strawbale because I was not aware of it before.
Segal developed a method of building that was designed to be simple to
se by unskilled people. It uses pad foundations, timber frame studding
nd dry panel infill. The studding is set at such spacing that the
nfill panels do not need to be cut. One aim is to eliminate wet trades
uch as bricklaying and plastering.
So while strawbales can be used as infill with timber studding, I'm
urprised if Walter Segal had anything to do with it. If anybody has any
eferences to his involvement, I'd be very interested.
Walter Segal wrote some books in the late 40s. These include "Home and
nvironment", "Housing: the post-war work of the London County Council",
nd "Planning and Transport: their effects on industry and residence
Building and Society.)" but they're out of print.
Jon Broome's excellent book "The Green Self-build Book" has a
escription of the Segal method. The two worked together.
This web page
http://www.selfbuild-central.co.uk/design/timber-frame-design/post-and-beam/>
rovides a summary and some links to other pages.
Cheers, Dave
   European strawbale building discussion list
Send all messages to:
trawbale at amper....muni.cz
Archives, subscription options, etc:
ttp://amper.ped.muni.cz/mailman/listinfo/strawbale