[Strawbale] 1. Re: Europe's largest strawbale building (Sport Hotel, Jure Pozar)

Derek Roff derek at unm...
Thu Nov 25 22:13:04 CET 2010

I share Max's views and endorse his comments, especially on fire
safety.  I am convinced that for fire safety, structural, and
moisture reasons, both the inside and the outside surface of the
bales in the walls should be plastered. Plaster applied directly on
the bales.  It isn't sufficient to put plaster on OSB or wood, that
is in contact with the bales.  The straw and plaster need to be an
integrated unit, with continuous plaster on both faces of the walls.

In general, I am not a great fan of OSB.  I have seen it mold in the
dry climate of New Mexico, USA, on vertical surfaces of shed walls,
exposed to the exterior, hence no moisture build-up was possible.
Even so, mold covered at least thirty percent of the OSB surface
after a few years.  Perhaps these sheds were built with bad OSB, but
how do we know the properties of the OSB that we buy?

There is no need for either OSB nor wood covering the interior wall
surfaces.  As mentioned above, plaster must be worked directly into
the bales.  If you choose to add wood strips (separated by spaces),
on top of the interior layer of plaster, that may be acceptable.  It
adds to cost and complexity.  Properly applied plaster wouldn't
crack, but I would worry about moisture build-up in the wall, unless
the wooden strips were narrow, and the spaces between them wide
enough to offer significant open area.  Continuous sheets of OSB
would certainly interfere with moisture control in the wall.

On item 2 of Jure's list, a 10-meter high wall is very tall for
strawbale.  I have never seen any testing of a wall of that height,
and I know of few examples over 3 meters in height, unless jumbo
bales were used, or there is an intermediate floor.  I might expect
70-100mm compression on a 2.5-3 meter tall wall.

On items 2 and 3, I believe there is value in pre-compressing a wall.
But after a wall is plastered, the plaster skins take the roof loads,
on a load-bearing structure.  For a post and beam structure, there
are no significant loads on the load-bearing elements.  In either
case, the plaster skins hold the bales in position.  There is
unlikely to be further compression or settling of the bales after the
plaster has cured.

On item 4, most people that I know advise against placing bales in
the floor when those bales are below grade (below ground level).
Moisture problems are very likely for bales below grade.  However, I
have visited several houses built to meet or exceed Passiv Haus
standards, which use bales in the floor above grade.  Most of these
houses were built on posts, so that there is free air circulation
between the earth and the floor.

On item 5, Werner Schmidt and others have used bales in the roof.  It
offers challenges with moisture, fire resistance, avoiding insulation
gaps and thermal bridges, and weight.  It's easier to insulate a roof
effectively with cellulose.

I'd recommend reading Bruce King's The Design of Straw Bale
Buildings, as well as The Last Straw Journal.  We've learned a number
of important things in the last twenty years of the straw bale
building revival.  I think it is worth following the consensus of
strawbale builders, at least for the first few buildings that one
builds.  Trying to do a number of things in new and original ways, on
one's first strawbale building, is asking for trouble.  Below are a
few links that might be useful.

<http://www.amazon.com/Design-Straw-Bale-Buildings-State/dp/0976491117>
<http://thelaststraw.org/>
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NGBOYU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0976491117&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1M6K6801G9QYNFCSMQ4X>
<http://www.buildingscience.com/>
<http://www.caneloproject.com/>
<http://www.strawbale.com/>

Perhaps others can provide additional European resources and links.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm...

--On Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:08 PM +0100 Max Vittrup Jensen