[Strawbale] CRTEZ ZIDA - MOJE MISLJENJE JE DA NISTE DOBRO RAZUMELI KONCEPT GRADNJE SLAMOM (Bane M. Prvanovic)

Bane M. Prvanovic house at beocity...
Thu Nov 25 20:33:37 CET 2010

I am sorry, I tried to reply to Mr. Jure Pozar himself.

I can offer you a little better translation, but I think you managed to provide some 85% exact meaning.

Personally, I am in straw-bale building for several years (since 2006.). But, as a construction engineer (gradjevinac = construction engineer), I prefer to see all mistakes first on the scetches and blue-prints, before any work on site.

Mr. Jure Pozar tried to collect here a lot of information about building with straw-bale, but according to scetch he posted, also to my personal opinion, he didn't understood the esential if he decided to use straw-bales in this particular manner as shown on the scetch.

I have seen a lot of enthusiasts which start with good will and sincere efforts, but ends with lost terms and money, and this story is not about straw-bale builders only.

Whenever something new comes out, a lot of people remember only the benefits of it, but they often pay less attention for sustainability of their own investment.

I saw the Guardian article from November 2nd and I appreciated it very much. But they have a serious team of engineers, especially for the public building they are building with straw-bale usage.

Mr Jure Pozar lives in the country where the wood as constructiion material is not commonly used, so there are only few people - structural engineers involved in wood construction. Add the novelty of straw-bales to that, and, this is again my personal opinion, I think he will be in problems over his head in a matter of several weeks after start. There aren't much help from the Croatian government for this kind of projects, so beside seriousness of his project, he must calculate all additional risks. That is what I am saying.

He allready said that Slovenians who have some (particular) experience, are not willing to help thie way he expect.

So, to Mr. Jure Pozar and the others:
I expect to start construction of our factory of 4.400 sqm near Belgrade next year. Idea was born at the end of 2006. During 2007. we finished fire testing and papirology. During 2008. we managed to round the financial backup for the project itself. The project costed something over 80.000 euros, and during 2009. we paid all fees and licences, so we can choose the starting term. During this year we are finishing investment construction (it is 6,5 mil of Euros investment) and planing to start next year.
So, the message is: MAKE YOUR PROJECTS 'WORK ON THE PAPER' (or in computer), BEFORE STARTING IT.

It is very important do divide beatifulness of building with straw-bales and sustainable funding for it.

Best regards to all,
Bane M. Prvanovic

GPB Solutions d.o.o.
Celopecka 8