[Strawbale] Cob Core Building proposal for Haiti

Caroline Meyer White hojtpaastraa at gmail...
Mon Mar 15 10:58:35 CET 2010

Hi Max,

If you have any documentation for the earthquake resistance to +9 on the
richter scale, I would be VERY interested to see it.

Caroline

2010/3/15 Max Vittrup Jensen <max at permalot...>

>  Dear all,
>
> I'm close to done with the cob-core building proposal; my recommendation
> over SB, earthships, superadobe, bamboo huts etc. Please feel free to use it
> in anyway you may see fit if you're involved in relief work. (And I'd
> appreciate suggestions for improvements.)  I'll gradually fill in the blanks
> in the budget, and adjust if I've made any mistakes. Apart from that I'm off
> Haiti, devoting my spring to more local issues...such as finalizing our
> straw bale house and co-facilitating our internships.
>
> This is the first introduction. Please enjoy the full text with numerous
> links and illustrations on: http://nbnetwork.org/nb/haiticob
>
> Max Vittrup Jensen
> Director, Events and Marketing
> Natural Building Network
>
>    Important Disclaimer:
>

> NBN is only a network. Our role in this plan has been to connect the people
> with expertise in Natural Building, as well as advice an effective approach
> in view of the local available local material, economy, climate challenges
> and historical/cultural preferences of Haitians. These parameters has
> eliminated a series of more exotic building designs and techniques.
>
> NBN does not have the funding and resources to proceed with implementation
> of the plan, this is up to whoever wants to make use of it. The plan is
> written in a pro-active tone by Max Vittrup Jensen, (NBN board member),
> enabling it to be downloaded and used for submission. Please do not
> interpret this as if the project is already being implemented. It is
> important to emphasize that this is a plan open for everyone to adapt and
> use, just make sure you’ll contact the relevant experts/sub contractors if
> you plan to include them in your application.
>
>     ———–00O00————
>
> EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
>

> The aim of this project is to construct 4000 simple 4×5 meter earthquake
> proven (9+) core-shelters out of bamboo re-enforced cob, which residents
> easily can expand into family houses in the future. Our emphasis is to work
> with future residents in design of their community and structures: The
> process is based on training Haitian low-income owner-builder teams, who’ll
> afterward be in charge of small mobile commercial equipment, establishing
> local skills and enterprises. We outline how three sustainable
> micro-businesses will be established as part of the process.
>
> A central element in organizing the community is a planning process with
> future inhabitants, facilitated by experienced experts in permaculture and
> urban design. This process will result in sustainable neighborhood groups,
> which commits to jointly build a cluster of dwellings; approximately 10-20
> families per group. Key features of the project will be enhancement of
> community facilities, rainwater catchments, local waste-water treatment, and
> garden allotments.

> [...]

friland 23, 8410 Rønde tlf. (+45) 40 76 19 80