[Strawbale] Mortgages on SB houses in the UK

carolatkn at aol... carolatkn at aol...
Sat Jul 10 22:32:29 CEST 2010

A company by the name of Naturesave, Totnes, Devon are happy to insure straw bale houses, loadbearing or otherwise
best wishes
Carol

-----Original Message-----
From: Derek Roff <derek at unm...>
To: European strawbale building discussions <strawbale at amper....muni.cz>
Sent: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 14:56
Subject: Re: [Strawbale] Mortgages on SB houses in the UK

I suppose the success of this approach would vary by the laws and
raditions in various countries, but it seems very risky to me.
nsurance companies investigate all big claims, and routinely deny
overage to their clients, based on _their_ conclusions about whether
he terms of the insurance agreement have been honored.  Calling a
oadbearing strawbale building a "timber-frame" might convince a
ompany to sell you an insurance policy, but that doesn't mean you
ould actually have any insurance coverage, in the case of a fire or
ther large insurance claim.
If the insurance company denies a claim, the owner must take legal
ction to try and force them to pay.  That implies convincing a third
fourth, fifth) party that the terms of the insurance policy have
een followed.  I think that would be very tough, in the scenario
hat Andrew describes.
It seems to me that this approach allows the home owner to pay
nsurance premiums for no actual coverage.  Maybe some owners would
e comfortable with this, if the presence of an insurance policy
llows them to get a mortgage.  However, to pay insurance premiums
or some number of years, when the insurance company is unlikely to
ay a claim, seems imprudent to me.  Worse, both the insurance
ompany and the company that issues the mortgage would seem to have
olid ground for suing the homeowner for fraud, in the event that the
ouse was lost, and the insurance company had been misled about the
ature of construction.
Instead of endorsing Chug's enthusiastic slogan of "Bale on", there
s a significant risk that insurance and mortgage companies will have
 strong reaction of "Bale NO".
Derek
Derek Roff
anguage Learning Center
rtega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
niversity of New Mexico
lbuquerque, NM 87131-0001
05/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
nternet: derek at unm...

Chug,

o; as a description of load bearing method as insurance companies
re nervous about straw as a load bearing building material.  This is
ot actually that much of a stretch of the imagination as assuming
ou are using a wooden base and wall plate with integral wooden posts
or door  and window openings, then this timber is doing some
tructural work.

egards
ndrew

rom: Chug <chug at strawbale-building....uk>
o: European strawbale building discussions
strawbale at amper....muni.cz>
ent: Fri, 9 July, 2010 13:09:39
ubject: Re: [Strawbale] Mortgages on SB houses in the UK
Andrew,
I take it you mean as a description for post and beam and not
oadbearing as
ou wrote?
and Neale
 thought you were asking about experience in selling a SB house, but
t's just a mortgage you are looking for Ecology BS as mentioned, and
irgin, and Triodos, but I don't think they will go up to 100%,
lthough I
hink they could be persuaded.
bale on
hug