[Strawbale] [BWBNewsletter] BWB Newsletter - Haiti

Builders Without Borders newsletter BWBNewsletter at builderswithoutborders...
Fri Jan 22 05:13:39 CET 2010

As I am sure is true for most of you, Catherine and I have been
researching ways to make a meaningful and effective contribution to
the situation in Haiti.  We will soon send information about a
possible approach for Builders Without Borders, and you, our members,
to be directly involved.  In the meantime, we would like to forward to
you information about a small number of effective, established
organizations, which you might not hear about otherwise.  We promise
not to stuff your mailboxes, but expect two or three mailings over the
next few days.

Catherine Wanek and Derek Roff
Co-Directors, Builders Without Borders

Borders would like to recommend these avenues to contribute:

Solar Cookers for Haiti: One of Haiti's most serious problems in the
coming months will be access to safe drinking water. This combined
with a serious and growing shortage of fuel has now reached crisis
proportions.  With a solar cooker it is possible to pasteurize several
liters of drinking water every day using only the light of the sun.

Friends of Haiti Organization is working with U.S.-based Sun Ovens
International to provide the people of Haiti with solar cookers.  Sun
Ovens Intl has been operating in Haiti for the past eleven years.
Donations marked (For purchase of Sun Ovens) will be used only to buy
solar cookers that will be distributed in Haiti.  On January 28, 2010
FOHO in partnership with Feed My Starving Children will be sending a
shipping container with 270,000 meals and Sun Ovens to Port au Prince
Haiti. There is room for additional Sun Ovens to be included with this
shipment and additional shipments are being planned.  Contributions to
Friends of Haiti can only be sent by check.  (FOHO is a 501C3
nonprofit organization so all donations will be tax deductable. 100%
of the donation will go directly to sending Sun Ovens to Haiti no
administrative expenses will be deducted. FOHO has been working in
Haiti for 45 years and has sent over 1,400 Global Sun Ovens and 12
Villager Sun Ovens to Haiti.)   Checks should be made payable to the:
Friends of Haiti Organization, PO Box 222, Holland, OH  43528  (Please
note the donation is for the Sun Oven project.)

If you prefer to give on line, you can send a donation to Solar
Cookers International's Haiti Project .  Our colleague Patricia
McArdle has served on SCI's board of directors for the past three
years.  SCI is collecting funds for solar Cookits, pots, and reusable
Water Pasteurization Indicators that will be added to this month's and
future shipment of Sun Ovens to Haiti.

Architecture For Humanity:   AFH had been set to send a design team to
Haiti this month to partner with local NGO < http://www.yele.org>
Yele Haiti but have put this on hold until they can get a full
assessment of the situation. AFH is connected with both Yele and AIDG
(Appropriate Infrastructure Development Group) at < http://
www.aidg.org/> .  AFH is commitmented to supporting both their efforts
in the long term
rebuilding of affected areas.   They have launched an appeal for
supplying construction and design professionals and supporting
earthquake resistant housing and community structures, according to
Cameron Sinclair, Executive Director of Architecture for Humanity.

A donation to AFH will contribute to these efforts.  All Haiti updates
will be via this link:  http://www.architectureforhumanity.org/node/1314
Contact AFH at: cameron at architectureforhumanity...   W: 415 963 3511
Mail contributions to:  Architecture for Humanity, 848 Folsom Street,
Suite 201, San Francisco, CA 94107-1173

In addition, to support the AFH appeal, please link to their site with
your social network accounts and/or blogs.