[Strawbale] French SB Network is looking for official european SB tests

forum at lamaisonenpaille... forum at lamaisonenpaille...
Wed Jan 20 22:02:11 CET 2010

Hello Peter,

Your questions show valid concerns that have been well weighed in our
decission.

In France any builder (owner builder and professional) has the right to
build with any matérial and method they like. But the professionals have
the obligation to be insured, and that proves difficult and expensive
because the lack of certified regulation. Créating such regulation does
not make it any more difficult to use other methods, in fact it actually
creates a sort of 'stepping stone'; part of the certified regulation can
be taken into account by the insurance company (general SB issues like
how to deal with moisture).

Our quest for these french 'building codes' is supported by the entire
network (nobody voted against it during multiple national gatherings)
and, again, these 'rules' are only a 'reference text', not an obligation.

Of course we would also like to see loadbearing and hybrids included but
that is too far a leap for now. Probably much better to do so on a
European level with the help of Amazon Nails and others.

All the best,
André