[Strawbale] OSB in detail

Derek Roff derek at unm...
Tue Dec 7 22:12:55 CET 2010

With respect to Herbert, and to everyone on this list, I recognize how
hard it can be to do the right thing, or even determine what the right
thing is.  It is also very hard to be successful in any business, and a
failed green business doesn't have a chance to contribute.

That said, I was struck by the opening paragraph below:

> I would like to have a completely natural structural board instead of
> OSB, but we didn't find a board with the same advantages and a
> similar price.

This described sequence of motivation, analysis, and product selection
is at the root of so many of our problems in the world.  As a world, we
are seldom ready to pay extra for products that meet our values and/or
contribute to making a better world.  So, instead, we give almost all
our product purchasing money to companies that don't meet our values,
and contribute to making the world worse.

It is hard to avoid, sometimes.  I use a car now and then, and send
money to the oil companies that I dislike.  I fly on airplanes
sometimes.  I make other choices that are unpleasant compromises of my
values.  I don't think it is possible to be active in the world of
green building, and also be free of compromises with companies and
products.  Yet, I think it is valuable to be aware of how making the
low-price choice so often contributes to removing better choices from
the market.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm...

--On Tuesday, December 7, 2010 8:06 PM +0100 asbn <asbn at baubiologie...>