[Strawbale] re: Corrosion of iron by lime mortar

Robert Tom ArchiLogic at yahoo...
Mon May 26 09:11:16 CEST 2008

On Mon, 26 May 2008 02:43:35 -0400, andre leorat <aleorat at gmail...> wrote:

> i would like  to give  strength to the two lime  plasterd ( with
> GREB mortar)  wall covering the strawbale.
> Polypropylene mesh is microfiber inside the mortar or wire mesh like, the
> ones used for fence during building construction or to take fish in the
> sea

>> The traditional answer would be hair but
>> polypropylene mesh is also used in the US.

Andre;

Fibre admixtures like horse hair or short strands of polyester that are
mixed in with the mortar serve to minimise cracking due to temperature and
shrinkage (T&S) stresses (ie secondary reinforcement)

Rectangular grid wire or plastic meshes, in addition to the minimising
cracking due to T&S can also be utilised for structural purposes (ie
primary reinforcement) to provide a tensile resistance between the top
plate and foundation. (ie precompression of the straw, in-plane shear etc.)

Tenax makes several plastic mesh products suitable for plaster
reinforcement including polypropylene (PP), polyethylene (PE) and nylon
(N) fibre types.

Polypropylene and polyethylene will be subject to stress relaxation over
time.
Nylon will not.

This site has images of the Tenax for gardening and bird cages but you can
Google to find specs for all of the Cintoflex product lines.

http://www.tenax.net/gardening/cages_aviaries_cintoflex.php

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom