[Strawbale] Re: psocids

Rob Tom ArchiLogic at yahoo...
Wed Jul 9 22:51:55 CEST 2008

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 16:20:16 -0400, peter van balen <peter at tentotwo...>
wrote:

> Thanks for that link - I had a look at it and I'm pretty sure they are
> psocids (plus the odd plaster beetle, typeD: sylvanus bidentatus).
> But I'm still puzzled, though not overly worried, why they are there when
> the bales haven't been plastered yet, have been stored dry and
> well-aired.

Ah yes. I got so carried away with the prospect of more sexy psocid images
that I forgot to say what I wanted to say. Sorry eh ?

Some speculation as to why you still have psocids even though the bales
*appear* to be dry.

This year, here in Kanata (Ontario, Canada) it rained almost every other
day during the month of June and those days where it wasn't raining have
been very humid. It rained yesterday and will likely rain again today and
the (hot)air is so humid right now my dog is dragging her tongue on the
ground.

Under such conditions, I would expect that any material with hygroscopic
tendencies (wood, paper, cotton fibre, concrete, soil etc) would have
moisture contents that are at or near a maximum.

So if in fact the bales were dry, the larvae from dry straw could
conceivably have migrated to any other material that might provide a more
moist environment for them to propagate themselves but I suspect that the
straw itself would be pretty moist simply due to the elevated levels of
ambient humidity that we've been experiencing.

ie Actual moisture content A 75% relative humidty in summer is
substantially more mositure than even 90% RH in winter.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom